Thursday, February 25, 2010

3D piece

So I decided to put my art book/poem piece on hold. This weekend I stayed at home and worked on my 3D piece. It's been a long time since I've been really engaged and connected to a piece like this. While I was looking for objects to work with at Urban Ore, there were two (cheap) beautiful boxes that spoke to me. I knew that I wanted to work with the one that looked like a treausre box first. With it, I found lots of keys, locks, nobs, and chains.

My favorite part of making this box must of been using a staple gun and drill (to drill the lock onto the outside of the box). I never knew how healing it would be to let out some bottled up agression out on an art piece with a staple gun, hammer, and a drill. :)

Unfortunately all of the drill bits I had were too big for the screws. I ended up filling the holes with glue and stuck the screws it and it still did the job. :) Another part of the piece is a ceramic heart that I had members of my family paint layers on. I painted the first layer then I had my sister, cousins, and mom each add a layer to it.

So I decided that this sacred, mystery box is a representation of my heart. I've been debating with myself how I want the set up on the bottom to look. I've kept the box open in my room and have been getting visions about it throughout the week. I'm sure eventually it will all come together.

2 comments:

  1. Sherry,

    I don't know if I spelled your name correctly but I loved seeing your box. I especially enjoyed your book though with all the cutting and rearranging of words. I hope to see more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the secret box of your heart came out beautifully! i've been impressed by your process of engagement with this work through the course, and have also been delighted to see you reveal your strong, creative and somewhat fierce inner voice! the box was so beautifully crafted and so rich with layers of meaning, i do hope you will have an opportunity to show it again, as i felt it might ahve been too dark in that corner for people to really appreciate the depth of the work. then again, it might really be your secret box, so perhaps you prefer that intimate privacy. great to have you in the class!

    ReplyDelete